You can now renew your existing or apply for a new Open Air Fire Permit (Annual, Annual-Restricted and Annual Agricultural) online with the following payment options: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Interac Online, MasterCard Debit and Visa Debit.
Here’s how to renew or apply online:
- Sign in to your MyServiceOttawa account. If you don't have an account, create one
- Once you are signed in, navigate to the “Open air fire permits” portal, located on your MyServiceOttawa dashboard (homepage) under Services.
- Click “Apply for or renew open air permits” or “View all open air fire permits” to enter the Open Air Fire Permit portal and follow instructions.
- Please note for renewals you will be prompted to insert your PIN and Permit Number, found on your annual renewal notice. If you have registered for other permits through MyServiceOttawa, you may not be prompted to enter your PIN and permit number. Please note your new open air fire permit will not be mailed or emailed to you.
Additional ways to get an open air fire permit:
- By mail (via your annual renewal form provided in 2017)
- In person at the City’s Client Service Centres and Rural Fire Administration Offices
Need help (i.e Lost your PIN?) or have a question:
- Please email OFSOpenAirFirePermits@ottawa.ca Please allow 1-2 business days for an initial response after sending an email.
- For more immediate support, please contact 3-1-1.
Open Air Fire Permit New Online Service Users
What you need to know (Helpful Information Guide)
Want to renew your permit? This is what you need:
- A MyServiceOttawa account
- Your PIN and 2017 Permit Number found on your annual renewal notice/letter which you would have received late last year in the mail. If you have registered for other permits through MyServiceOttawa, you may not be prompted to enter your PIN and permit number.
- After following Steps 1-4 (above): Once you are in the solution, you will be prompted with question “Do you have a valid 2017 Open Air Fire Permit with the City of Ottawa?” you should select “Yes” and follow further instructions.
- For Annual Agricultural Only: You must go through the renewal process within the solution and pay for your agricultural open air fire permit before you can update the properties on your agricultural permit for 2018 calendar year. Why? Because it is not considered a renewal if you are adding new items to the existing permit.
- Note: To be considered a renewal (online) you will have had a valid 2017 Open Air Fire Permit (in general, this means you had a permit in 2017). If you did not have a permit in 2017, you will be considered a new applicant online.
Want to get a open air fire permit online? This is what you need:
- A MyServiceOttawa account
- A civic address is required in order to get an open air fire permit. For agricultural permits, one (the primary) of the four properties on the permit needs a civic address.
- After following Steps 1-4 (above): Once you are in the solution, you will be prompted to enter the address (where you wish to have an open air fire) and press the “Address Search” button. Your address details will be confirmed and you will only proceed to get an open air fire permit, if the address provided falls within a burn zone and you are eligible for a permit. If not you will receive an error message. Learn more about City of Ottawa burn zones.
General User Information
- Payment: This online service solution has a payment component. After reviewing the Terms and Conditions of your permit (and selecting I Agree), you will automatically be directed to the payment solution. After payment is made and successful you will receive an email. For more information on payment visit the Open Air Fire Permit Help section located within the MyServiceOttawa portal.
- Where can I find my new (active) 2018 permit number? It will be updated (and located) on your “Open Air Fire Permit Summary” webpage. Please note: At the end of the payment process there will be a link that states “Return to Open Air Fire Permits” if you select that you will return to your Open Air Fire Permit Summary webpage and receive a Thank You message. Review that message. You may be required to refresh your browser window to see your active permit number.
- I want to Print or Save my new/active permit, where can I find it? After you have made a successful payment and you can see your new active permit number you can print your permit if you choose by selecting the VIEW/RENEW PERMIT button. Within you will see a PRINT button. Please note your new open air fire permit will not be mailed or emailed to you. You can access your permit online anytime as follows (above) and choose to print it, or you can see your permit number on the MyServiceOttawa open air fire widget.
- Specific event fire permits: Cannot be purchased online as they require in-person assistance.